For more information
Email Carole Brayford at email@example.com Or talk to the Revd Paul
JANUARY 2024 NEWS !
- Los Reyes – The Kings duly arrived, as widely anticipated by children all over the island, on the eve of 12th night – January 5th bringing gifts. Lovely occasions in all the towns, large and small.
- New coffee machine at Santa Margarita – a gift from the Kings or who knows ?? but thank you ! Now we have wonderful fresh coffee after the Sunday services.
- Fiesta of San Antonio (patron saint of Animals and of Menorca). In Es Castell on Wednesday 17 January there was the annual Blessing of the Animals in the Esplanade with a procession from the Catholic church. Animals large and small were brought to receive their blessing by the Rev. Paul and Father Alberto. See photos.
- January Epiphany and San Antonio Chaplaincy Lunch. A few of us enjoyed some social time together in January celebrating on the Fiesta of San Antonio at Restaurant Opera on the port in Mahon.
- On 30 January the Rev. Paul was recommissioned as Area Dean (for Northern Spain and the Balearics) in the Archdeaconry of Gibraltar to serve for a further 3 years.
- Archdeaconry Synod – at Calpe in the province of Alicante – end January/early February. Paul and our Synod representatives, Margaret and Trevor Jones were there to represent Santa Margarita.
- Sunday 11 February. Rev. Paul will be in Girona (where there is currently a vacancy) leading their worship. The Rev. Louis Darrant (Area Dean for Southern Spain) will be at Santa Margarita leading our Sunday worship.
- Tuesday 13 February Shrove Tuesday– the Annual Pancake lunch at church at 12 noon with our resident Pancake flipper extraordinaire, our very own Rev. Paul !
- Wednesday 14 February – Ash Wednesday. Lent begins. There will be Lenten bible studies every Wednesday from 21 February at 12.30pm together with a simple soup and cheese lunch.
- Sunday 25 February – Concert – at 12 noon. The welcome return of Coral Mitjanit with a concert in church following the 11am service.
- PCC meeting – now renamed CC (Chaplaincy Council) – 22 February at 12noon. Please hold the CC members and all their discussions in your prayers.
OUTREACH TO THE WIDER COMMUNITY
Peru – Melany and Joel, the two Peruvian students we have agreed to support, have now been able to recommence their studies as a result of our funding. Melany has been fast tracked onto the next year of her psychology degree. Joel is completing his secondary education and expects to receive his certificate shortly giving him access to better employment opportunities.
- Spanish Tax Payers. We do encourage any Spanish tax payers who give to the church to consider gift aiding their donations, particularly as the current relief is increasing to 40% ! Ask your tax adviser, or Paul for more information on how to deal with this and he will point you in the right direction
- The Chaplaincy Council “CC” (formerly PCC) currently comprises – the Rev. Paul, the church wardens – Trevor Jones (also Archdeaconry Synod representative) and David Green, as well as Margaret Jones (Archdeaconry Synod representative and church and CC secretary), Liz Astley, Colin Guanaria, Suzanne Hodges (treasurer) and Carole Brayford.
- Church Card Reader. The Diocese are currently offering subsidised card readers to Chaplaincies in Europe for cashless donations (some of you in the UK will be familiar with these). We have applied for one and it seems our application may be successful. Watch this space !
- The church website – https://anglicanchurchmenorca.com/ Do use the church website which should have up to date information about what is happening – although don’t stop reading this Newsletter !!
- The weekly services of Holy Communion are recorded and can be easily accessed via a link. If you are not on island or cannot be in church but would like to follow the service, contact Paul and he will add you to the weekly email that he sends out with details of the access link.
If anyone is willing to host a future social event – coffee morning, afternoon tea, or simple tapas that would be much appreciated. Please let Carole know.
NEW LUNCH VENUE RECOMMENDATIONS ALWAYS WELCOME !
If you would like to support the ministry of Santa Margarita, the Anglican Church in Menorca, then you can do so by going to the website and clicking the Donate button
Your donation will be very gratefully received.