NEWSLETTER – April 2023
For more information
Email Carole Brayford at email@example.com Or talk to the Revd Paul
Carole writes : I read recently that February in Menorca had been one of the wettest on record! March has been a mixture of sun and rain but it is currently beautiful warm spring sunshine. Long may it last !
If you are a summer visitor you will no doubt be planning your visits through the next few months and we will look forward to seeing you at Santa Margarita. Do read through the following and join us if you can at some of our social events.
- Lenten Bible Studies were held each week led by Rev. Paul and followed by a simple soup lunch.
- Lunch. For March’s lunch we returned to Trattoria Vianello in Mahon in beautiful warm sunshine. It was good as always to enjoy food and social time together.
Easter Services – all the latest details of services will be on the Weekly bulletin or on the church website including those for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of Holy Week. Sunday services will also be available as usual online through the church website or Youtube.
- Palm Sunday 2 April – 11:00 am service with blessing of palms and Holy Communion
- Maundy Thursday 6 April – 11:00 am service celebrating the washing of feet and institution of Holy Communion in the church of Santa Margarita.
17.30 Tenebrae service, and stripping of the altar.
- Good Friday 7 April – 12.00 noon – 3 hours of prayer and reflection based upon the stations of the cross.
- Saturday 8 April – 20:30 the Great Vigil of Easter, with lighting of the fire and first lighting of the Paschal candle
- Easter Day Sunday 9 April
- 07:15, sunrise worship at Punta Prima beach.
- 09:00, Holy Communion at the church of Santa Margarita
- 11:00, Holy Communion with hymns and the possibility of Easter eggs at the church of Santa Margarita
Friday 14 April – Gwent Touring Brass Band are back on the island for Holy Week and the week of Easter. They will be leading the Easter parade in Mahón over the Easter weekend.
- Their visit culminates with a performance in church on Friday 14 April at 8pm followed by refreshments. There is no necessity to book tickets although donations are obviously welcome. A lively time is expected, not least because this year the band will be accompanied by its newest associate member, Joseph Arthur Miller, born on 16 February 2023!
Sunday 23 April – St. George’s Day. Service in church at 11am with celebration lunch to follow in Es Castell – venue to be confirmed – let me know if you are coming or sign the sheet on the church notice board. This will be followed by evening prayer at 5.30pm on the Isla del Rey (boat leaves at 5pm).
27th April – Eurovision style song contest – Bar Pons, Cala en Porter 8pm (doors open 7pm). This is being organised by David & Hazel Martin to raise longer term funds for the victims of the Turkey & Syrian Earthquake. Tickets are 10€ each for audience, singers and judges! – available from Bar Pons, Can Dulce or David Martin or Hazel Martin. Do support this very worthwhile cause. Help with ticket sales and raffle prizes etc. would be appreciated.
30 April 2023 – Annual Meeting of Parishioners and Annual Parochial Church Meeting. This will be in church at about 12.15 pm following the 11am service. It will also be possible to join on Zoom. Details and reports will be available nearer the time.
King Charles will be crowned in Westminster Abbey on 6 May We hope to celebrate this special occasion in Menorca.
Sunday 7 May – 11am Communion service with Michael Higgins (Paul is away on holiday). There will be a coronation “theme” to the service and it will be followed by cake and Cava.
We are then invited to take the rib to the Isla del Rey (from Moll del Hospital, Carrer Fontanelles) for a short service of prayer and then to join the celebration (Bring your Own) picnic.
Monday 8 May – Celebration Tapas Lunch in Son Parc hosted by the Brayfords. Details to be confirmed.
Our Bishop, the Rt. Rev. David Hamid, will be coming to Menorca for the weekend of 22/23 July, for a pastoral visit, and to participate in the celebration of our patronal festival (which will be moved to the weekend this year). It is hoped that we can hold a chaplaincy lunch on Sunday 23 July so we can all have the opportunity to meet with Bishop David, and that the soon-to-be-consecrated Bishop Gerard of Menorca may also join us. More details in due course.
Outreach to the Wider Community –
- Ukraine – as the war in Ukraine continues, we are still collecting funds for local refugees or, through the diocese, for those remaining in Ukraine or exiled in the surrounding countries.
- For Easter we hope to offer something through Social Services for those in need as well as continuing to provide funds for Ukrainians living here.
- Turkey & Syria Earthquake Victims – immediate donations are urgently needed and donations through the various NGOs are most effective. However, for the longer term a Eurovision style song contest is being organised for 27 April (see above).
GOLF TOURNAMENT 2023. This is likely to be held in September. Details will be announced as soon as possible. Remember friends, visitors and neighbours are more than welcome to join this fundraising event.
Make a note in your diary of the above dates and join us if you can. More information from Carole or from Rev. Paul. If anyone is willing to host an event – coffee morning, afternoon tea, or simple tapas that would be much appreciated. Please let Carole know.
VENUE RECOMMENDATIONS ALWAYS WELCOME PLEASE !