NEWSLETTER – September 2023
For more information:
Email Carole Brayford at email@example.com Or talk to the Revd Paul
Carole writes : I hope you have enjoyed some relaxing times during August – wet and cool in the UK but hot in Menorca. However a ferocious storm hit the island a few days ago and there was a great deal of rain – much needed by the gardens no doubt. Apparently there was so much rain the the golf course would not allow buggies on the following day ! Now September is here and hopefully we can enjoy catching up with each other over the weeks to come.
JULY / AUGUST 2023
At the end of July the Rev. Paul made the news (with photo!) in Diario de Menorca. He was invited to speak at an Ecumenical Conference in Cuitadella about environmental responsibility (Laudato Si (the pope’s document on the environment)).
Golf Tournament 2023. Saturday, 2nd September the Santa Margarita annual golf tournament will take place. We are grateful that Malcolm Ellis and Colin Guanaria have again organised this with Paola at the Golf Club. We hope it will be an enjoyable and successful event. Part of the proceeds from the tournament will be donated to the charity, Club Vidalba, which supports recreational activities for young people with special needs in Menorca.
(Photographs of Rev Paul presenting the prizes can be found on Facebook !)
Harvest Lunch – Sunday 17 September. Lunch after the Harvest service at Can Avelino 23 restaurant in Mahon 1pm – 25€ p.head to include 3 courses and drinks – (venue to be confirmed). Please let me or Paul know if you would like to join us or sign up on the sheet on the church notice board.
Events to look forward to in the autumn –
- Wednesday, 4 October, 8pm– Organ Concert by Melanie Plumley, UK freelance player, at Santa Margarita, “an hour of music, easy on the ear!” Retiring collection for the Anglican Church Foodbank See poster on the church noticeboard.
- In October there will be another social get together – possibly a BBQ lunch at the Cricket Club if this can be organised.
- The Coral Mitjanit will be treating us to a concert in church in October or November – watch this space for details.
- Holy Communion was previously held at 5pm in Ciutadella on the last Sunday of each month. On the 25 June the service was revived at the outdoor chapel in Cala’n Bosc (Cap d’Artrutx). It is hoped this service will continue in the months to come for those living at that end of the island.
Outreach to the Wider Community –
- Ukraine – As the war in Ukraine sadly continues we welcome donations to our fund providing support for local refugees, who have apparently received a lot less Government aid than expected. It is always more difficult for them to find work in the autumn and winter which has a severe impact on their ability to support themselves and their families.
- Peru – The Archdeaconry Synod report to the APCM earlier this year from Margaret & Trevor Jones detailed our relationship with the Anglican Diocese in Peru which goes back more than 10 years. As well as prayer support, the donations from our Archdeaconry contribute to a wide range of ministry, including Christian formation, children’s and youth ministry, pastoral care, safeguarding, soup kitchens, disabled peoples’ ministry, women’s ministry (especially for incarcerated women), ambassadors of health and communication (Diocesan news).
- The Rev. Deborah Chapman (Barcelona) is the Archdeaconry link person and has recently received a letter from Bishop Jorge in Peru expressing his grateful thanks for the donations we send to enable ministry to the very poor of the country but explains that the Diocese is currently in great financial difficulty and asking if we are able to send further donations.
- The PCC has responded to this with a proposal to send a donation from Santa Margarita. Additional donations from members of the congregation would be welcome. It is not too late if you would like to add something – do PLEASE CONTACT PAUL.
The weekly services of Holy Communion are recorded each week and can be easily accessed via a link. If you are not on island or cannot be in church but would like to follow the service, contact Paul and he will add you to the weekly email that he sends out with details of the access link.
If anyone is willing to host a future event – coffee morning, afternoon tea, or simple tapas that would be much appreciated. Please let Carole know. LUNCH VENUE RECOMMENDATIONS ALWAYS WELCOME!