NEWSLETTER – November 2023
For more information
Email Carole Brayford at email@example.com Or talk to the Revd Paul
Carole writes : Weatherwise October was really pleasant – some rain and some wind but lots of sunshine and good temperatures. And good that we still had visitors with us, some of whom joined us for lunch.
WHAT WAS ON IN OCTOBER !
Diamond Wedding Anniversary Celebration ! David and Wendy Green celebrated 60 years of marriage in early October with a blessing in church. One of their daughters made a surprise visit to celebrate with them and we were all delighted to congratulate them on a wonderful achievement and wish them many more happy years together.
Organ Concert in Church. Mel Plumley’s recital in church of “Music Easy on the Ear” was thoroughly enjoyed and the retiring collection provided funds for the Foodbank. Many thanks to Mel and also for playing at some of the Sunday services whilst she and her husband were on the island.
The October Paella Lunch at Menorca Cricket Club was a big success with a choice of delicious seafood or veggie paellas and cheesecake and ice cream to follow. The weather was kind and it was warm albeit with a breeze The setting under the trees was delightful and we again were able to welcome some visitors. It was voted one of the best and most relaxed occasions we have enjoyed!
Baptism – In mid October, a delightful young man, Tinashe, from South Africa who lives on the island, joined us at our Sunday service with his parents and God-parents for his baptism ! It was a really joyous occasion enjoyed by everyone and made more memorable by the lights going out just as Paul was about to start the baptism – wonderfully the lights came on just at the right moment!
EVENTS FOR NOVEMBER 2023
- 2 November: Evening prayer service for All Souls day 17.00; an opportunity to give thanks for the lives of those whom we love but see no longer in this world – in the church and on Zoom (check the website for the link).
- Saturday 11 November – Prayers for Remembrance in the chapel of St. George on the Isla del Rey. The boat leaves Fontanelles (Moll del Hospital) at 10.30am sharp. The service starts at 10.55am to allow for the silence at 11am.
- 12 November: Remembrance Sunday service observed in church at 11am
- Lunch Wednesday 15 November at Can Avelino 23, Mahon at 1.30pm 20€ p.hd. Let me know if you would like to join us, or sign up on the sheet on the church notice board.
Outreach to the Wider Community –
- Ukraine –.Update on Ukraine: there is to be a collection of milk powder for babies in Ukraine, organised through the Mahón town hall. Paul will be contacting the organiser to offer the cash that we have in hand, and this will be advertised at church. The campaign will run until 2 December.
The refugees who initially came to the island have now largely moved away to the mainland to seek work or have found work locally. At present therefore there appears no need to support them financially, although this will be kept under review.
- Peru –
- In response to Bishop Jorge’s, in Peru, request through the Archdeaconry link person, Rev. Deborah Chapman (Barcelona), we have sent 500€ (part of which was given by individuals within the Chaplaincy. The PCC has agreed that we should send a further 1000€ as part of our annual mission giving.
- In addition, also as part of our annual mission giving, the PCC has for some time been seeking to provide some sponsorship of a Peruvian student/child. A suitable student has not yet been identified but we will continue to pursue this in conjunction with the chaplaincy of All Saints, Tenerife.
- Choral Concert. We hope that the Coral Mitjanit will again be treating us to a concert in church in the coming months. Details are awaited – watch this space.
- The church website – https://anglicanchurchmenorca.com/ Do use the church website which should have up to date information about what is happening – although don’t stop reading this Newsletter !!
- The weekly services of Holy Communion are recorded each week and can be easily accessed via a link. If you are not on island or cannot be in church but would like to follow the service, contact Paul and he will add you to the weekly email that he sends out with details of the access link.
- The PCC currently comprises – the Rev. Paul, the church wardens, Trevor Jones (also Archdeaconry Synod representative) and David Green, as well as Margaret Jones (Archdeaconry Synod representative and church secretary), Liz Astley, Colin Guanaria, Suzanne Hodges (treasurer) and Carole Brayford
- Holy Communion in Ciutadella area normally takes place on the last Sunday of the month in the outdoor chapel in Cala’n Bosc during the summer months. The last service this year was on 29 October at 17:00.
If anyone is willing to host a future social event – coffee morning, afternoon tea, or simple tapas that would be much appreciated. Please let Carole know. LUNCH VENUE RECOMMENDATIONS ALWAYS WELCOME !