NEWSLETTER – May 2023
For more information
Email Carole Brayford at email@example.com Or talk to the Revd Paul
Carole writes : We are just into May and already we are welcoming our summer visitors. It will be good to catch up again over the summer months and I hope some of you may join us at our social events – see below.
Paul and Kate will be away (for some well deserved holiday) from Tuesday 2 May returning on 25 May. We wish them rest and relaxation. Whilst Paul is away we are grateful that Rev Michael Higgins will be with us and will be leading our services. We look forward to seeing him and Margaret.
- Easter was the usual busy time both at Santa Margarita and with all the Easter processions and events on the island. Our usual sunrise service was held on the beach at Punta Prima.
- Lana and the Gwent Touring Band had a busy time over Easter culminating in a concert in church on Friday 14 April. It was the usual wonderful and entertaining occasion. DVDs of the concert will be available at the end of May and can be obtained from Paul for a 10€ donation to the church.
- St. George’s Day 23 April – lunch on the waterside at La Caprichosa, Cala Fonts was a very enjoyable affair – it was good to have some of our “swallows” with us.
- Eurovision Style Song contest – 27 April organised by Hazel and David Martin to raise funds for the victims of the Turkey & Syrian Earthquake. A report next time.
- 30 April 2023 – Annual Meeting of Parishioners and Annual Parochial Church Meeting. This was in church following the 11am service. As previously it was possible to join on Zoom.
King Charles III will be crowned in Westminster Abbey on 6 May. The following are our plans for celebration.
Sunday 7 May – 11am Communion service with Rev Michael Higgins (Paul is away on holiday). There will be a coronation “theme” to the service and it will be followed by cake and Cava.
We are then invited to take the rib to the Isla del Rey (from Moll del Hospital, Carrer Fontanelles) for a short service of prayer and then to join the celebration (Bring your Own) picnic.
Monday 8 May – Celebration Tapas Lunch in Son Parc hosted by Carole and Tony Brayford. 2pm – Details available from Carole. If you plan to join us please let Carole know in advance for catering purposes.
Our Bishop, the Rt. Rev. David Hamid, will be coming to Menorca for the weekend of 22/23 July, for a pastoral visit, and to participate in the celebration of our patronal festival (which will be moved to the weekend this year). It is hoped that we can hold a chaplaincy lunch on Sunday 23 July so we can all have the opportunity to meet with Bishop David, and that the newly-ordained Bishop Gerard Villalonga of Menorca may also join us. More details in due course.
Outreach to the Wider Community –
- Ukraine –At Easter we donated 400€ to provide assistance to the Ukrainians living on the island who have little or no support and were unable to find employment through the winter months.
- Turkey & Syria Earthquake Victims – Whilst donations through the various NGOs are most effective, it is hoped the Eurovision style song contest organised for 27 April (see above) will provide additional funds for longer term needs.
GOLF TOURNAMENT 2023. This will be held on Saturday, 2nd September. More details will be announced soon. Do put the date in your diaries if you are a golfer and remember to invite friends, visitors and neighbours to join this fundraising event.
Make a note in your diary of the above dates and join us if you can. More information from Carole or from Rev. Paul. If anyone is willing to host an event – coffee morning, afternoon tea, or simple tapas that would be much appreciated. Please let Carole know.
VENUE RECOMMENDATIONS ALWAYS WELCOME PLEASE !
No comments yet.