SANTA MARGARITA CHURCH, MENORCA
NEWSLETTER – March 2023
For more information
Email Carole Brayford at email@example.com Or talk to the Revd Paul
Carole writes : The chilly weather of January seems to have continued into February and certainly there has been a great deal of rain (good for the gardens at least ) and some strong winds!! Whilst the dreaded yellow pollen has not yet arrived here in Son Parc, spring is hopefully just round the corner and when the sun does come out it lightens everyone’s spirits. My pots of hyacinths and freesia are just coming into bloom on the terrace and cheer me enormously.
If you are in the UK I hope you are keeping warm and dry and are cheered by the arrival of the snowdrops and the first daffodils.
News from FEBRUARY :
- Shrove Tuesday at the church was well attended and the usual fun event. Many pancakes were enjoyed. Rev. Paul was in fine form showing off his pancake tossing skills! Some wag did comment that this one looked as if it had stuck to the ceiling!!
- Ash Wednesday. The annual service with the imposition of Ashes – much appreciated.
- Diocesan Synod. This year the annual event was held in Calpe on the mainland and attended by Paul and by Trevor and Margaret Jones, the Diocesan Synod representatives. A really good opportunity for clergy and others to connect with their opposite numbers working throughout the European Diocese.
- Lunch. This month’s lunch was held at the Chinese/Japanese restaurant, Itanou, in Malbuger – very enjoyable and really good to have one of our regular UK visitors with us.
Outreach to the Wider Community –
- Ukraine – as the war in Ukraine continues, we are still collecting funds for local refugees and, through the diocese, for those remaining in Ukraine or exiled in the surrounding countries. We recently joined with local people in Es Castell, for the silence to mark the one year anniversary since the beginning of the war.
- Turkey & Syria Earthquake Victims – immediate donations are urgently needed and donations through the various NGOs are most effective. However, for the longer term – see below the Eurovision style song contest being organised for 27 April.
- Lent – Regular Wednesday lunchtime Lent studies led by the Rev. Paul, are being held in church each week after the 11am weekly service. They will include a simple soup lunch. Everyone is welcome and details are on the weekly bulletin
- World Day of Prayer 3 March 11am Service in church prepared by the women from Taiwan and led by Hazel Martin and Kate Strudwick.
- LUNCH – THURSDAY 30 MARCH 2023 – this will at Trattoria Vianello restaurant in Mahón at 1.30pm. The cost will be the usual 20€ p.hd. to include a choice from the Menu del Dia. including wine or soft drink and coffee. All are welcome. Please use the sign up sheet on the church notice board or email Carole Brayford or the Rev. Paul direct. Any visitors are always welcome so do invite friends and family. Lifts can be organised – again let Carole or Paul know if they can help.
- Easter Services – all the latest details will be on the Weekly bulletin or on the church website.
- Maundy Thursday
- Good Friday
- Easter Day
- Brass Band – Friday 14 April – Gwent Touring Brass Band are back ! In church at 20.00 with refreshments to follow – more details shortly. They will also, as usual, be leading the Easter parade in Mahón over the Easter weekend.
- Eurovision style song contest – 27 April – San Lluis. This is being organised by David & Hazel Martin to raise longer term funds for the victims of the Turkey & Syrian Earthquake. Help with ticket sales and raffle prizes etc. would be appreciated.
- Annual Meeting of Parishioners and Annual Parochial Church Meeting – Sunday 30 April 2023. This will be in church at about 12.15 pm following the 11am service. It will also be possible to join on Zoom. Details and reports will be available nearer the time.
GOLF TOURNAMENT 2023. It is likely that this will be held in September. Details will be announced as soon as possible. Remember friends, visitors and neighbours are more than welcome to join this fundraising event.
Make a note in your diary of dates and join us if you can. More information from Carole or from Rev. Paul.
We hope to continue with regular get togethers each month through this year. If anyone is willing to host an event – coffee morning, afternoon tea, or simple tapas that would be much appreciated. Please let Carole know.
VENUE RECOMMENDATIONS ALWAYS WELCOME PLEASE !